Sunday, October 6, 2013

Every Love Story is a Ghost Story: A Life Of David Foster Wallace

Every Love Story is a Ghost Story: A Life Of David Foster Wallace has a very interesting book cover. The cover features the name of David Foster Wallace, but has diagonal cuts within it to provide space for the beginning of the title. This is a cool idea, but I don't know if it really works for this book. First of all, when I see a large block of text that happens to be a name of someone, I assume that they are the author. It wasn't until I looked a second time that I found the author's name at the bottom. After that I found that the text within the name was actually the beginning of the title. I could understand if that was the tagline after the name David Foster Wallace, but it actually comes before that. Another problem with the way this was done is that the spaces cut out are uneven. This makes the spacing appear off. The first two names has three cut outs for additional text, while the name Wallace has only one. This throws off the balance and makes the "W", "A", "C", and "E" look more important than the other letters. At the bottom is the author's name. The author's name is much smaller and creates a top-heavey cover. This is a very interesting cover, but I think that it is too hard to read the first time. Even though I personally don't like it, I have to honestly admit that It will attract the eye of someone who notices the difference to this font and that person is more than likely to take the time to investigate the book more.

No comments:

Post a Comment